Discover the course
WEBINAR: Biomedical Literature, Databases and Bibliometric Indicators
Where and how to get the scientific literature that makes the difference
An accurate literature search is the starting point of:
- A clinical research study protocol
- A scientific publication
- A medical device clinical evaluation
- A congress presentation
The list is not complete, yet shows how important a training that guides you in the following steps is:
- Appropriate design of a search strategy
- Correct and smart use of available tools and resources
- Step-by-step guide into how to conduct a biomedical literature search
- Use of bibliometric indicators
- Visualization and navigation of results and retrieval of scientific literature
It is an opportunity to understand which databases are available and to learn how to use them at their most!
MODULE 1 - 13 MAY
How to retrieve the biomedical literature you need
- The structure of a database: PubMed
- A bibliographic record
- How to design a search strategy: the PICO/PICOS model
- (Patient/Intervention/Comparison/Outcome/Study design)
- Identifying medical databases
- Two databases compared, PubMed and Embase: the pros and the cons
- Other sources of information: guidelines, international registries.
MODULE 2 - 19 MAY
Getting into PubMed:
- Simple or advanced searching
- The use of ‘free-text’
- The use of the dictionary
- Which are the differences?
MODULE 3 - 21 MAY
Bibliometric indicators: Impact Factor, Citation Index, H-Index
- Web of Science
- Google Scholar
- Publish or Perish
During the Webinar, the lecturer will manage some live researches as exemples.
Vanna Pistotti è consulente documentalista presso diverse strutture sanitarie. È anche responsabile del settore “documentazione” del Centro Cochrane Italiano. Dal 2019 al 2020 ha lavorato presso l’Unità di Metodologia delle revisioni sistematiche e produzione di Linee Guida dell’Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri di Milano. Dal 1970 al 2018 è stata responsabile della Biblioteca e Centro di Documentazione dell’Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri. Nel corso degli anni è stata anche relatrice a convegni nazionali ed internazionali e si è dedicata alla stesura di diverse pubblicazioni scientifiche e divulgative, sia in inglese, sia in italiano. Dal 1999 è docente in molti corsi ECM rivolti a medici e operatori sanitari sull’utilizzo di Internet, siti medici, e banche dati.
Medical Direction, Clinical Operations; Quality Assurance; Regulatory Affairs; Clinical Affairs; Research & Development; Medical science Liaison; Medical Writers; Pharma & Biotech, CROs, Research Centres and Universities applied sciences and biotechnology faculties.
Good command of the Internet. English knowledge is a must.
This Webinar in divided in 3 modules:
- Module 1 | 13 May 2020 from 2.30 pm to 4.30 pm
- Module 2 | 19 May 2020 from 2.30 pm to 4.30 pm
- Module 3 | 21 May 2020 from 2.30 pm to 4.30 pm
The fee includes
Access to the webinar, teaching materials in pdf format provided post-webinar, organizational office support, certificate of attendance.
The course will proceed with a minimum number of participants. Should this number not be reached the registered participants will be notified one week prior to the commencement of the course.
Early Bird: € 580,00* (until 22 April 2020)
Ordinary: € 655,00*
Freelance - Academy - Public Administration: € 348,00*
* for Italian companies: +22% VAT
** Early Bird discount not applicable to Freelance - Academy - Public Administration fee
The fee includes: Access to the webinar, teaching materials in pdf format provided post-webinar, organizational office support, certificate of attendance.
Wednesday, April 22, 2020
At the end of the training, you will be able to
Be able to get scientific information using different tools
Be able to evaluate the quality of scientific journals using bibliometric indicators
Evaluate the quality of publications and authors using the said indicators